tips on casting sequencing gel

Carlisle Landel landel at helios
Mon Jul 25 14:37:36 EST 1994

In article <30p5nk$gvp at server.st.usm.edu>,
Shiao Y. Wang <sywang at whale.st.usm.edu> wrote:
>pzheng at VAXA.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU wrote:
>: If you are still casting your own sequncing gels like me, here is a tip for
>: you. Put sigmacote on both plates[despite what you have read from sequencing
>: protocols]and proceed as usual. I started this as a mistake, but it worked
>: beautifully everytime. This way you don't have to worry about air bubbles and
>: the gel will always stick to the bottom plate when you take them apart.
>
>One of my students made the same mistake. He couldn't pour the gel because
>both plate were now hydrophobic and the acrylamide soln wouldn't enter between
>the glass plates. So, proceed with caution.
>
>Shiao Wang
>University of Southern Mississippi

Let me second Shiao Wang's cautionary note!  If you accidently coat both
plates, you are in for *big* headaches in getting the gel solution between
the plates!

We notice that somehow, with time, the coating migrates to the other
plate, and we have big problems  (We use Glassclad.)  How this happens
is a big mystery.  However, we can get it off with 5M NaOH.

Carlisle Landel
A.I. duPont Institute

-who cleaned gel plates with NaOH just yesterday.....