tips on casting sequencing gel

Aaron Pawlyk aaron at netnews.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 26 21:04:06 EST 1994

pzheng at VAXA.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU wrote:
: If you are still casting your own sequncing gels like me, here is a tip for
: you. Put sigmacote on both plates[despite what you have read from sequencing
: protocols]and proceed as usual. I started this as a mistake, but it worked
: beautifully everytime. This way you don't have to worry about air bubbles and
: the gel will always stick to the bottom plate when you take them apart.
: john
: pzheng at vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu

I was taught to apply SigmaCote to both plates for sequencing.  Everyone
in my department does it that way and we have never had a problem.  Maybe
it has to do with the coating agent itself since there appears to be
different choices.

Seems like people using SigmaCote don't have a problem.  What are those of
you who are having problems with this using?

			-- Aaron