Fixing sequencing gels

Tony Meyn Tmeyn at ccit.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 26 20:40:28 EST 1994

In article <cupton.1125646336B at ra.uvic.ca>, cupton at sol.uvic.ca ( Chris
Upton) wrote:

> suggested it wasn't necessary to fix 35S seq gels but that the Saran Wrap
> should be left on - I persuaded a grad student next door to try this :-)
>
> He found it worked fine!! (to think of all the time I spent fixing gels!!)
>
> BUT, he also took off the Saran Wrap!!  & there was _NO_ problem with the
> gel sticking to the film!!
>
> This may be because he dried the gels very well or low local humidity.
> I guess it's something to test yourself.
>
> All in all he was pretty happy with it.
>
> Cheers,
>   Chris

Chris-

I never fix my sequencing gels.  You can not use Saran Wrap between
the film and the gel as S35 is too weak to penetrate the plastic.
I dry my gels at 80C for two hours.  Normally this is fine.
When the humidity get up here, though, (around 40% :) )the film
does tend to stick somewhat.  This doesn't bother me too much as
I can still read the sequence without a problem.

Tony Meyn
University of Arizona