Oligo degradation trepidation

szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 26 16:06:33 EST 1994

Martin Kennedy (mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz) wrote:
: In article <Ct8zz7.BJG at ucdavis.edu>, szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu () writes:

: ....Entire subject matter of previous 2 posts removed....!

: > the problem. Operon (a company in California) claim that primers go bad
:                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: > at -20 oC. Currently I am storing mine at -70 oC or lypholizing aliquots.
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^>
: > Mike Cooley      mbcooley at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu

: Is this for real????  Anybody got any hard evidence?  Do I worry about my
: -20 degree stored oligos (which probably amount to more than a years worth of
: my salary)!  Does anyone have a good reason why oligos might "go off" at -20,
: but not at -70 degrees?  Is anyone form Operon out there...?

: Appreciate  any comments,

: Martin

: NNNN   NN  Martin A Kennedy (E-mail = mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz)  ZZZZZZZ
: NN NN  NN       Cytogenetic and Molecular Oncology Unit          ZZZ
: NN  NN NN           Christchurch School of Medicine            ZZZ
: NN   NNNN              Christchurch, New Zealand              ZZZZZZZ
: 	      Phone (64-3)364-0880  Fax (64-3)364-0750

I have been using nested PCR to detect very rare events and so I am
pushing the sensitivity to PCR to the limit. Under these conditions I
found that I was unable to amplify fragments from the same DNA where I
had succeeded about a year previously. I ordered new oligos and a side by
side comparison with both sets of oligos indicated the oligos had gone
bad. Admittedly, this may not be seen with less critical reactions.

Mike Cooley   mbcooley at ucdavis.edu