GELase for DNA purification

Maureen Bunger bungerm at ohsu.edu
Wed Jul 27 16:00:28 EST 1994

 I am wondering if anyone out there is having success with GELase (from
Epicentre Tech) DNA purification procedures from LMP gels. Most
specifically in utilizing the DNA for radioactive labelling and Southerns.
I seem to get a good yield, looks good by itself on a gel, appears to
label OK with 32P, but I am getting no detection in the Southern.
Everything about this Southern (ie probe, conditions, etc) is well
published except most people have used GeneClean and not once have
I seen a GELase procedure published. My boss refuses to use GeneClean
and we had problems with yield with the Qiaex. She doesn't want to
use anything that requires glass beads. Perhaps the purification
is not the problem. Any information would be helpful.

Maureen Bunger
bungerm at ohsu.edu