Microtiter dish problems with PCR

Gerard R. Lazo grl6732 at zeus.tamu.edu
Thu Jul 28 12:24:00 EST 1994

I've noticed from previous posts concerns about problems with PCR in
96-well microtiter dishes. Well, now I've finally started to run into
problems and wonder what the final consensus was. I was using a batch
of Nunc- and Corning-brand polystyrene microtiter dishes (Product #s
not known) and then I ordered a new batch of microtiter dishes (1/2-well
format polystyrene tissue-culture treated, sterile dishes). Now my PCR
reactions don't work. I attribute the problem to the batch of polystyrene
microtiter dishes because identical reaction mixtures were mixed in the
polystyrene dishes and polypropylene racks for the Perkin Elmer 9600.
The samples mixed in the polystyrene microtiter dish and transfered to
the PE 9600 dish did not work, whereas the samples prepared in the PE 9600
dish worked just fine.

For which type of microtiter dish do PCR reactions appear to work well?
Perhaps I need to stay away from "tissue culture treated" dishes. Any
advice would be appreciated. I've been using microtiter dishes because my
work is often split between the PE9600 and MJ Research machines.

Thanks for any help.
                                              /
Gerard R. Lazo                   . %.        (=)   GLAZO at tamsun.tamu.edu
USDA-ARS                        (.(  .)       /     Off: 409-260-9533
Southern Crops Research Lab.   ( ( .) .) ->  (=)     Lab: 409-260-9522
Route 5, Box 805                %_( ._)       /       Fax: 409-260-9333
College Station, TX 77845        //\|        (=)