dNTP concentration in PCR

Patty McManus mcmanusp at student.msu.edu
Thu Jul 28 10:26:37 EST 1994

For folks who are having PCR problems, are you sure your dNTP
concentration is correct?

Maybe no one out there is as big a bozo as I, but my quality of PCR
( and quality of life) improved dramatically when I realized my dNTP
concentration was four times to high!

I won't go into the details, but it has to do with the fact that when
you combine 20mM stocks of each of 4 dNTPs, the final concentration of each
is 5mM and not 20mM.  Pretty obvious, I know, but sometimes the obvious
is overlooked.  My apologies to anyone whose intelligence was insulted.

Patty