Non EtBr DNA stain(s)

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Thu Jul 28 22:59:34 EST 1994

Richard Near (rocket1 at bu.edu) wrote:
: I am interested in DNA staining in gels *not* using ethidium\
: bromide.  I would be most interested in stains that are
: colorometric.  My motivation is that I would like to scan
: gels , rather than taking pictures.  Off the top of my head
: the only stain that comes to mind is methylene blue, but it
: is much less sensitive.  Any ideas from the bionet?
:

How about silver staining? (Never tried it myself, but I've heard it works)

Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790