Can degraded RNA mimic mult. transcripts?

David Glover D.J.Glover at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 16:04:53 EST 1994

In article <ljlj-270794142804 at imm-mac1.bsd.uchicago.edu> ljlj at midway.uchicago.edu (Loren Joseph) writes:
>From: ljlj at midway.uchicago.edu (Loren Joseph)
>Subject: Can degraded RNA mimic mult. transcripts?
>Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 22:47:46 GMT

>........  There are also several low concentration but
>distinct bands throughtout the 1-5 kb range of the first 3 preps.  We have
>often seen these bands but ignored them since an actin probe indicated
>intact mRNA.
.........  Thinking back
>to the multiple distinct low concentration bands we observed in RNA preps,
>are those likely to just be mildly abundant intact transcripts or have I
>been missing a clue about RNA degradation?
>Hopefully, you will tell me I am a dolt to even wonder about giving the
>RNases so much credit.

                          Thanks,

                Loren Joseph

>ljlj at midway.uchicago.edu

Loren,
         I can not answer your other questions but was intrigued by the
'multiple low concentration bands' that you observed in your RNA preps. I
routinely extract RNA from a yeast cultured under various conditions and have
also seen similar banding patterns in good RNA extracts. Usually I see
numerous bands across the full size range from the 28S ribosomal band down to
the tRNA bands. As these banding patterns seem to be consistent across many of
my RNA extracts and due to what I thought was the random action of
ribonucleases I have always considered these bands to be abundant
mRNAs.However, I do not know this for certain and would be interested to hear
other opinions.

David Glover