Fixing sequencing gels

Chris Greene cgreene at bimcore.emory.edu
Thu Jul 28 13:32:14 EST 1994

In article 1125646336B at ra.uvic.ca, cupton at sol.uvic.ca ( Chris Upton) writes:
> suggested it wasn't necessary to fix 35S seq gels but that the Saran Wrap
> should be left on - I persuaded a grad student next door to try this :-)
>
> He found it worked fine!! (to think of all the time I spent fixing gels!!)
>
> BUT, he also took off the Saran Wrap!!  & there was _NO_ problem with the
> gel sticking to the film!!
>
> This may be because he dried the gels very well or low local humidity.
> I guess it's something to test yourself.
>
> All in all he was pretty happy with it.
>
> Cheers,
>   Chris
>
> Chris Upton
> Biochemistry & Microbiology
> University of Victoria
> PO Box 3055, Victoria
> BC, Canada   V8W 3P6
>
> (604)721-6507
> (604)721-8855 fax

I have been exposing my sequencing films in this way for about two years now, and it does indeed work fine.  One thing you must be careful of is that the gel must be dry if you remove the plastic film.  I'm sure that when the humidity levels rise once again you will finds lots of little black dots all over your film where the gel stuck.  This tends to make the film rather unsightly but can still be read quite easily.

---
Chris Greene                 <>  The great tragedy of Science-the
cgreene at bimcore.emory.edu    <>  slaying of a beautiful hypothesis
cgreene at unix.cc.emory.edu    <>  by an ugly fact. -- T.H. Huxley