Reference Manager vs Endnote

Sunee Kertbundit - ST stskb at MUCC.MAHIDOL.AC.TH
Sat Jul 30 01:55:21 EST 1994

On 27 Jul 1994, D L Clarke wrote:

> Dear Netters,
> 	I am  currently trying to asses the relative
> merits of two PC based bibliographic software packages
> for Windows.  Therefore, does anyone use either
> Reference Manager or Endnote in the Windows format.
> Any gripes or praise for either package will be
> gratefully received, as I have to report to my
> supervisor before we purchase a copy of one or
> the other.
>
> Questions I would really like answering are:-
>
> 1.	Can I import searches from CD-ROM (Biological
> 	Abstracts), the Internet, World Wide Web and
> 	BID's (U.K based server).
> 2.	What is the corporate address for either product.
> 3.	Can I obtain a demo version
>

> Dave Clarke
>
> E-mail D.L.Clarke at Sheffield.ac.uk

Dave,

We are using Reference Manager for Windows for about a year and we
are vere happy with it.  It is rather flexible, very easy to use and it
satisfy all our needs.

To your questions:
ad 1. Yes, you can import from CD-ROM services or on line services but
      you need to buy the optional Capture module.  It contains more than
      150 formats for all services available today and can be updated later.

ad 2. Research Information Systems
      Camino Corporate Center
      2355 Camino Vida Roble
      Carlsbad, CA 92009-1572
      Tel: (619) 438-5526 (main office)
           (619) 438-5547 (technical support)
      Fax: (619) 438-5573

ad 3. Yes, they will send you a DEMO copy upon request.  It will allow you to
      use almost all features, but it is limited to some 200 references only.

The only draw back of this software is its copy protection.  It enables you to
enter only 200-500 references from the keyboard and then it asks for the
validation, which can be done only once. You can create as many additional
databases as you want, but only up to 200-500 references.  However, I found
that if you will import all references from CD-ROM or similar services, the
program never ask for validation.  Right now, we have 3 databases with more
than 10 thousands references with abstracts imported from Medline, Agricola
and SilverPlatter without any validation.

On the other hand, you are entitled to make as many copies of the program as
you want and install it to all your computers.

The price of the full version is about $ 500.

Cheers

Mila Juricek
Dept. of Biochemistry
Mahidol University