tips on casting sequencing gel

Will Fischer wfischer at bio.indiana.edu
Sat Jul 30 01:12:27 EST 1994

[long set of assertions and counter-assertions deleted]

(the gel doesn't go between the plates).  The other group says, "We always
siliconize both plates, no problem."

I'm guessing that the two groups pour gels differently:  If you pour
your gels with the plates horizontal, you need capillary action to draw
the gel in as you pour.  This will not work at all (in my experience
and that of others) if both plates are siliconized.  However, if you
pour your gels tipped & taped, it should make little difference whether
silicone is on one or both plates.

Incidentally, to echo an earlier thread, Rain-X is a good and very
inexpensive alternative to other non-stick agents ($3-$5 per bottle vs
~$40 per bottle of Gel-Slick, which I think is the same stuff).

Will Fischer				wfischer at indiana.edu

Department of Biology                   Voice:  812-855-2549
Jordan Hall
Indiana University                      Please correct my errors of fact
Bloomington, Indiana 47405 USA          or judgement (wheresoever detected)!