Gel Purification of DNA with Qiaex beads

Christie Doris Zerylnick czeryln at cc.emory.edu
Fri Jul 29 15:36:03 EST 1994

Steven Chua (sc690763 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu) wrote:
: I am in the process of purifying a DNA fragment for injection into mice to
: generate transgenic mice and I am wondering what other methods are available
: to get a clean fragment with good yield that are suitable for injection...

We have used QIAEX beads also, and have found they don't give great
yield.  Then, when I tried to transform some DH5a cells with a
QIAEX-purified fragment (on several different occasions), all the cells
croaked.  So it might not be the best thing to use for transgenics.  We
use DEAE paper and find it works quite well up to 3 or 4 kb--the recipe
is in CPMB or was in BioTechniques.  Good luck!    Chris Zerylnick