Slow growing XL1-blues

eric c. anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Fri Jul 29 10:49:24 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul27.213302.1 at aurora.alaska.edu>, fsajb3 at aurora.alaska.edu
wrote:

> Anyone have experience with this problem?
> 	Our lab has been transforming XL1-blue chem comp cells (made competent
> in our lab using FSB protocol) with various pBSIIKS constructs. There has
> been no problem getting transformants, but the colonies grow extremely slow,
> and there is a really long delay before any blue color develops for blue/white
> selection. I checked to make sure we weren't overdosing the plates with
> ampicillin, everthing seemed normal. We are using bluo-gal and 100mM IPTG for
> color selection. Any information is greatly appreciated.

i've had the same problem, but was assured by others in the lab that it's
just a quality of the cells.  they always grow slowly.  i've encountered
similarly slow growing strains with invitrogen's INVaF' cells.  i also
think that color selection in general takes a bit longer than the actual
cell growth does.  i usally leave plates @ 37 degrees for 24-36 hrs, then
leave them at room temp for another 12-24.  the time at room temp slows
down cell growth but allows for pretty good color development.

you aren't doing anything wrong...it's just the way they work.

as a marginally humorous aside, i just noticed that you're posting from
alaska.  i don't know what you consider room temp up there (maybe 5-10 C),
but down here in the heartland it's 24. :)

good luck,
eric
--

BIG AIR...

NOT BIG PANTS!!!
eric c. anderson
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
660 s. euclid box 8103
washington univ. school of medicine
dept of molecular biol. and pharmacology
st. loser, misery 63110