Fixing sequencing gels

Brandon S Johnson johnsbs at mail.auburn.edu
Sat Jul 30 17:23:01 EST 1994

with the : > gel sticking to the film!!
: >
: > This may be because he dried the gels very well or low local humidity.
: > I guess it's something to test yourself.
: >
: > All in all he was pretty happy with it.
: >
: > Cheers,
: >   Chris
: >

: Chris-
: I never fix my sequencing gels.  You can not use Saran Wrap between
: the film and the gel as S35 is too weak to penetrate the plastic.
: I dry my gels at 80C for two hours.  Normally this is fine.
: When the humidity get up here, though, (around 40% :) )the film
: does tend to stick somewhat.  This doesn't bother me too much as
: I can still read the sequence without a problem.

: Tony Meyn
: University of Arizona

--

I have used this technique successfully "way down south" where humidity
is oppressive, about 85% right now.  I've found that "Cling Wrap" works

Brandon Johnson
johnsbs at mail.auburn.edu