Cutting plasmid inside inverted repeats?

Shahram Mori smori at
Thu Jun 2 00:03:30 EST 1994

Ed Beaty (ed_beaty at wrote:
: Hello again, again...

: I think I figured out why I can't cut the inverted repeats in my plasmid
: with restriction endonucleases:  The reference is D.M. Lilley and L.R.
: Hallam, J Biomol Struct Dyn 1: 169-82 (1983).  The abstract says that some
: inverted repeats in negatively supercoiled plasmids may form a cruciform
: structure that is resistant to cleavage by restriction enzymes, but is
: hypersensitive to single-strand-specific nucleases like S1.

That's excatly what I was gonna say!!!!!!!! :)
I am glad you found the answer.
Shahram Mori
Program in Molecular Biology
Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry