How to desiliconise glass plates?

daj (David Johnston) daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 02:11:13 EST 1994

On Tue, 31 May 1994 12:04:24 GMT,
  Sean M. Shaw writes:

>Having carefully siliconised several SDS-PAGE glass plates with
>Sigmacote I now find that I need to reverse the process. Other than
>by repeated washing, is there any way to remove the coating?
>
>Please could you direct any suggestions to me via email!
>
>Sean Shaw
>Dept Microbiology, Reading University
>skrshaw at sksscsc1.rdg.ac.uk

Manniatis recomends 5g of KOH in 100ml methanol but I haven't tried it
(CAUTION IT IS PRETTY POTENT STUFF _ USE GLOVES AND FACE PROTECTION).
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB. England
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)