Slanted Bands on Agarose Gels

Mike Morris mike at
Wed Jun 1 09:47:23 EST 1994

In article 206 at, wfischer at (Will Fischer) writes:
*Christopher W Botka (cwbotka at MERCURY.SFSU.EDU) wrote:
*: Has anyone experienced bands(DNA) that run slanted on an agarose gel? -
*: i.e. the bottom of the EtBr stained frag. of DNA seems to be migrating
*: faster than the top.
*  Seems the culprit is different buffer conc. between gel and
*running buffer, generally due to volume loss while dissolving the agarose.
	I have always believed that it was due to a TEMPERATURE gradient in the gel, not buffer concentration. I avoid it by running gels more slowly, or
in the cold room.

Michael Morris PhD
Division of Medical Genetics       tel (Switzerland) (22) 702.56.94
CMU, University of Geneva          fax (Switzerland) (22) 702.57.06
Geneva, Switzerland                email mike at