Can I successfully blunt it?

Helge Weissig helgew at ljcrf.edu
Wed Jun 1 00:38:49 EST 1994

In article <2sgptr$7ej at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au>, andrew at qimr.edu.au (Andrew
Healey) wrote:

> Huanquan Zheng (zheng at cc.Helsinki.FI) wrote:
> : I have an insert which prosess both 5' and 3' overhang protruding in
> : upstream, to blunt this insert, the following has been planed to do:
>
> : 20 ul reagent:
> : Klenow fragment enzyme 3U
> : Insert		       3g
> : dNTPs		      2mM final conc (high?)
> : 10x klenow buffer     2ul
>
> : 30 min at RT
>
> : Can I successfully fill in recessed 3' terminus in downstream and
> : remove that 3' protruding in upstream after above treatment?
>
> Yes, sure. T4 Polymerase is also OK and somewhat more efficient. The dNTP's
> *are* way too high...that's the concentration of the stock mix.....use one
> in 10 of this (giving 200 uM final).

hmmm... would it not be better to use T4 Polymerase instead, since Klenow
really only fills in the 5' ends, whereas T4 also chews off the 3' ends?

and: if Klenow, then don't use too much. One unit should do, otherwise you
end up with 3' termini due to its 3'-5' exonuclease activity.

my 0.02 units worth
cheers,
Helge

Helge WEISSIG                              e-mail: helgew at ljcrf.edu
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation        phone: (619) 455 6480 x253
10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.                  FAX: (619) 455 0181
La Jolla, CA 92037
U.S.A.

     God invented surfing, so that the really talented people
     would not rule the world. - unknown