mRNA purification

Helge Weissig helgew at
Thu Jun 2 00:23:07 EST 1994

In article <94152.145349MSH4 at>, Peggy Halleck
<MSH4 at> wrote:

> Hi!  I'm finding myself in the position where I need to do some Northern
> analysis of various mouse tissues and some cell lines relatively quickly for
> publication.  Some preliminary analysis by another lab indicates that we
> really need mRNA, rather than total.  We don't have bags of money, but I was
> thinking about trying (no flames about kits, please) the OligoTex Direct
> mRNA kit from Qiagen.  Does anybody out there have any experience with this
> kit?  Is it worth it?
>                                            Peggy

it works fine, but in your case you migt want to look into Invitrogens
FastTrack kit which has the protocols and reagents for direct isolation of
mRNA from cells and tissues included. Qiagen's oligoTex-dT is said to do
the trick as well, but to my knowledge, the company has not come out with a
definitive protocol/kit yet.

hope this helps,

Helge WEISSIG                              e-mail: helgew at
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation        phone: (619) 455 6480 x253
10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.                  FAX: (619) 455 0181
La Jolla, CA 92037
     God invented surfing, so that the really talented people
     would not rule the world. - unknown