Reply to "RT-PCR control primers"

John McCarrey johnmc at DARWIN.SFBR.ORG
Thu Jun 2 12:40:55 EST 1994

In "RT-PCR control primers" post from J. Carnwath on 2 June 1994 it is
stated that in the absence of primers spanning an intron it is
"impossible" to control against contamination of an RNA sample by genomic
DNA in RT-PCR reactions.  This is not true.  A no-RT control accomplishes
this quite nicely.  With respect to a control target that is ubiquitously
expressed, Clontech sells primers for G3PDH which they claim is an
excellent, ubiquitously expressed control for expression studies.  I have
not used it myself and so cannot comment directly.  Good luck!

|   John McCarrey                                                            |
|   Department of Genetics               Internet:  johnmc at darwin.sfbr.org   |
|   Southwest Foundation                    Phone:  (210) 674-1410 Ext 232   |
|   P.O. Box 28147                            Fax:  (210) 670-3316           |
|   San Antonio, TX 78228, USA                                               |