human c-fos probe information

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Thu Jun 2 08:56:30 EST 1994

ALLEN, BEVERLY S (BSA at ICBR.IFAS.UFL.EDU) wrote:
: Dear Bionetters:

: Can anyone please send me some information about what would be the best
: piece of the ATCC human c-fos genomic clone to use for probing Northerns?
: All my reading on c-fos probes in my narrow area discuss *any* fos probes
: except the one I have from ATCC, and ATCC's literature references don't
: have a good map of the human genomic clone and used the v-fos clone to probe
: their Northerns.

	I see no reason why all, or a part of the c-fos DNA should not work
fine as a probe.  You need to check that the DNA you label up (whether it is
the whole clone or a part of it) does not contain Alu repeats or other
repetitive DNA that would cause it to hybridize to many places in the
human genome.

	Here is part of the GenBank entry for the human c-fos gene:

LOCUS       HSCFOS       3565 bp    DNA             PRI       18-DEC-1990
DEFINITION  Human cellular oncogene c-fos (complete sequence)
ACCESSION   V01512
KEYWORDS    oncogene.
SOURCE      human
  ORGANISM  Homo sapiens
            Eukaryota; Animalia; Metazoa; Chordata; Vertebrata; Mammalia;
            Theria; Eutheria; Primates; Haplorhini; Catarrhini; Hominidae.
REFERENCE   1  (bases 1 to 3565)
  AUTHORS   van Straaten,F., Mueller,R., Curran,T., Van Beveren,C. and
            Verma,I.M.
  TITLE     Complete nucleotide sequence of a human c-onc gene: Deduced amino
            acid sequence of the human c-fos protein
  JOURNAL   Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 80, 3183-3187 (1983)

	The gene contains four exons.  The complete coding sequence for
the protein is in this Genbank entry.

	A quick way to find out if this sequence has repetitive elements
that will cause problems in a Southern blot is to compare this sequence
to the Primate seciton of GenBank using BLAST or FASTA or a similar
program.  If it only has significant similarity to c-fos and other
fos-like genes, then it should work fine as a probe.

: Thanks,
: Beverly Allen