DNA-contaminated PCR

ZOLTAN GYORGYPAL zoltan at SciNet2.UP.Ac.ZA
Fri Jun 3 05:19:18 EST 1994

Hello,

I'm having trouble amplifying DNA from museum material. The skins I need to
extract DNA from have been kept on the floor of a dirty store room. So I'm
amplifying mouse DNA instead of the organism I'd like to investigate.

I wonder what are the best methods to get rid of the surface DNA
contamination before actually starting the extraction from the old & dry
skins. Maybe some DNase treatment, followed by the elimination of the enzyme
before starting the lysis of the skin itself?

Also, if you know about a newsgroup or other forum specifically interested
in ancient DNA amplification, please give me a pointer.

Thanks a lot > Zoltan
Zoltan Gyorgypal
MRI UP