Intron conservation

Brian Foley brianf at
Fri Jun 3 18:13:43 EST 1994

Mart Speek (mspeek at wrote:
: Dear Netwalkers;

: Does anyone know what is the level of conservation in introns between
: similar genes in different organisms?

	It is variable, depending upon:

1) How long the organisms have been evolutionarily diverged.
	An insect intron will have less in common with a mouse intron
than a rat intron will have with a mouse intron.

2) The mutation rates for the organisms in question.
	Rodents have higher mutation rates than primates, so
two mouse species that diverged from a common ancestor exactly
1.2 million years ago, will have less in common than two
primate species that diverged exactly 1.2 million years ago.

: Please respond to mspeek at

	If you want to benefit from a newsgroup, you should
also participate.