Eastern blotting!

Pierre Hubert hubert at cigale.u-strasbg.fr
Sun Jun 5 04:41:19 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9406031220.A24743-0100000 at cmu.chiangmai.ac.th>
Prachya Kongtawelert, mdbci001 at CMU.CHIANGMAI.AC.TH writes:

>Hello!
>There are Southern blotting, Northern Blotting, and Western blotting.
>Is there "Eastern blotting"? What is it?
>Someone told me that it was blotting of proteoglycan from
>polyacrylamide/agarose electrophoresis. Is that true?
>Prachya
>Biochem Med CMU.
> David Martin x3175, dmartin at crc.ac.uk answered:
>This is the direct opposite to Western Blotting where you inadvertently
>connect the power up the wrong way round on your gel tank and transfer
the
>proteins from the gel to te tank buffer.
>
>Not a reccommended protocol.

This certainly can be described as Eastern blotting... But is "Northern"
really the reverse of "Southern" ?
There is some serious answer to Prachya's question. The term "Eastern
blotting" was suggested for protein transfer from isoelectric focusing
gels (Reinhart & Malamud, Anal. Biochem. 1982, 123, 229-235) and for
vacuum-blotting (Peferoen et al., FEBS Lett. 1982, 145, 369-372). Even
"Mid-Eastern" blotting was jokingly suggested for ligand-blotting
procedures (Gershoni & Palade, Anal. Biochem. 1983, 131, 1-15, a good
review on protein blotting).
In fact these authors advocated the use of the more descriptive names:
native blot, vacuum blot and ligand blotting respectively.
I have not seen any reference to Eastern blots in the litterature since...

Pierre Hubert
INSERM U. 338
F-67000 Strasbourg, France
e-mail: hubert at neurochem.u-strasbg.fr