DNA-contaminated PCR

Martin Leach leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 5 09:59:22 EST 1994

In article <zoltan.6 at SciNet2.UP.Ac.ZA>, zoltan at SciNet2.UP.Ac.ZA (ZOLTAN
GYORGYPAL) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble amplifying DNA from museum material. The skins I need to
> extract DNA from have been kept on the floor of a dirty store room. So I'm
> amplifying mouse DNA instead of the organism I'd like to investigate.
>
> I wonder what are the best methods to get rid of the surface DNA
> contamination before actually starting the extraction from the old & dry
> skins. Maybe some DNase treatment, followed by the elimination of the enzyme
> before starting the lysis of the skin itself?
>
> Also, if you know about a newsgroup or other forum specifically interested
> in ancient DNA amplification, please give me a pointer.

Dear Zoltan...if it is just mouse DNA then this should dissolve away in
water.
Is it mouse DNA or mouse tissue that is contaminating?
If it is mouse tisse/excrement etc.. then i guess the best way is to design
PCR primers that are specific to the organism u wish to amplify from..

sorry for limited info..

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
p.s. try BioMOO (virtual biology on the internet - telnet
bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888)