Help needed to re-cycle QIAGEN <plasmid> tips

at umich.edu
Mon Jun 6 14:28:38 EST 1994

In article <2smnp9$js5 at styx.uwa.edu.au>, dvoon at uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Dominic
Voon) wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	I am currently using QIAGEN-tip 100 to purify my midi-prep
> plasmid DNA. I read on a recent issue of TIBS (Trents in Biochemical
> Science) that people have figured out a way of re-using the used tips.
> As i find it a waste to throw away these rather expensive tips, and am
> new to this newsgroup and the use of QIAGEN tips, can someone please
> send me information on how to recycle them.
> Do reply via email..
>
> Your help is much appreciated. Many thanks in advance
> regards
> dominic

I would like to know how to as well. The fact is if there is any protein or
cell debris left in the sample after the lysis it will clog the column. The
column MUST run with  some minimum speed or it won't work. If you continue
to use the columns they will continue to run slower (it is impossible to
get all the cell debris out) until it finnally doesn't work. To regenerate
the column you would have to somehow remove the crap from the column so it
would run faster again.

Good luck

Steve