Glacial Acetic Acid

Dr R. Dalgleish ray at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 05:37:54 EST 1994

> Hello,
>
> No one  our lab knows why glacial acetis acid is called "glacial". If
> anyone could enlighten us we would be very grateful and I may even
> win a beer!
>
> Thanks
>
> nick
If you cool glacial acetic acid sufficiently it will begin to soldify
and form galciers though I think it looks more like icebergs.
The name glacial probably stuck as there is no comparable simple
adjective that you can form from iceberg.

signature not found, format hard disk instead? (Y/N)_
  Dr Raymond Dalgleish,          JANET: ray at uk.ac.le
  Department of Genetics,     INTERNET: ray at le.ac.uk
  University of Leicester,    ICBM NET: 52 37' 23" N, 01 07' 24" W
  University Road,                 Tel: (+44) 0533 523425
  Leicester LE1 7RH,               Fax: (+44) 0533 523378
  United Kingdom.