Pfu-spiked cycle sequencing

Robert Preston rapr at MED.PITT.EDU
Thu Jun 9 09:06:17 EST 1994

Forwarded message:
> From: ohungnes at bioslave.uio.no (Olav Hungnes)
>
> Robert Preston (rapr at MED.PITT.EDU) wrote:

There seems to be some confusion about 5' and 3' there, Olav, but more
to the point, why would dideoxyterminated strands be degraded? They are
not mis-paired (we use them for sequencing, after all), so presumably they
would not be editor substrates.  They just can't be extended further.  In
any case, even if they were edited sometimes, further synthesis on the
same strand would likely fix things up (for fluor primer chemistry) or it
would be irrelevant (for fluor terminator chemistry).  Even MORE to the point,
one experiment (well, maybe two or three tries, if it's as simple as these)
is worth far more than any of this verbal rationalization..
Rob Preston
rapr at med.pitt.edyu