PCR on whole yeast cells

Robert Solomon Bioc rgs at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 10 09:13:02 EST 1994

In article <A.C.Hilton-080694094124 at bcs88.bham.ac.uk> A.C.Hilton at bham.ac.uk (Anthony Hilton) writes:
>In article <2sumhu$spf at mercury.dur.ac.uk>, Bert Popping
><Bert.Popping at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dear Alvin,

<method for PCR from whole yeast cells deleted in the interests of brevity>

>I have tried to perform whole cell PCR on isolates of Salmonella and
>Campylobacter using 5ul of an overnight culture in Luria broth as the
>source of DNA. Even with pre-boiling I still can't seem to get the
>fragments amplified.
>
>Any tips for bacterial wholw cell PCR?
>
>Thankee
>
>Wig.

Count me in - the recent debate on PCR of multicopy plasmids from
E. coli was interesting, but what does one need to do to amplify a
chromosomal gene or chromosomally-integrated plasmid in E. coli?
Is a *pure* chromosomal prep required here?

Any tips much appreciated - will post a summary if replies made directly
to my email.

Rob Solomon
rgs at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
<witty .sig deleted due to loss of sense of humour>