Qiagen

Frosty Loechel pulm012 at uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu
Mon Jun 13 06:40:55 EST 1994

Qiagen resin is simply an anion-exchange resin. The only thing special about
it is that it has a very high charge density.  This allows high enough
resolution to separate DNA from RNA, ssDNA from dsDNA, and even circular DNA
from linear DNA (although one must do gradient rather than batch elutions to
achieve the latter).
One thing that Qiagen does not explain in their advertisements or protocols,
is that the resin is constantly being improved. The Qiagen columns that you
buy today work much better than the ones that were sold four years ago,
mainly because they have been able to pack a higher density of charged
groups onto the matrix. I was not very satisfied with the performance of the
original Qiagen resin, but I am very pleased with them now. They give much
purer DNA than any of the other commercially available DNA purification methods.

Frosty
pulm012 at uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu