dissection and RNA extraction

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Tue Jun 14 17:17:18 EST 1994

In Article <damak.8.2DFD9751 at kahu.lincoln.ac.nz>, damak at kahu.lincoln.ac.nz
(Damak, Sami) wrote:
>We need to extract RNA from sheep sweat glands.  The problem is that it
>takes two hours to dissect enough glands to work with, by which time the RNA
>is completely degraded.  We tried fixing the tisssue or dissecting in tissue
>culture medium but still didn't get any success.  We use the Trizol method
>to extract RNA.
>Does anyone have any experience with extracting RNA from tissues that are
>difficult to dissect?  Any suggestion will be appreciated.
>
>Sami

Try putting the tissue into liquid nitrogen immediately after removing it
from the animal. A quick rinse in sterile PBS before plopping into liquid
nitrogen is also a good idea. After you get enough glands to extract,
quickly weigh the tissue and proceed with the Trizol. Hope this helps.
                                                        Tracy
Tracy Aquilla, Post-doctoral Research Associate
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
University of Vermont, College of Medicine
aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu