Undergrad. computer/teaching use help

dkatz at earth.doane.edu dkatz at earth.doane.edu
Tue Jun 14 14:57:10 EST 1994

I am turning to my favorite newsgroup for assistance.  This is directed to
those persons teaching at 4 year undergraduate institutions.  I am seeking
information about how many computers biology departments have, and what
use they are put to.  We find that the administrators are willing to support
many equipment requests, but continually refuse to supply computers for either
office or student use at  our school.  I am in search of information as to
what comparable schools and programs have, in the hopes of supplying
irrefutable evidence that we will not be doing our job if we do not use these
instruments in our teaching.
We have approx. 100+ undergraduates, four full time faculty and one adjunct.
We have one computer in the department (an IBM), and two very old ones in
prof's offices.  No other computers.  We do, obviously, have dumb terminals
so that we can communicate with the Internet.  That is an obvious bonus.

I am requesting that anyone teaching at an undergrad. only institution
feel free to reply to the following questions:

How many faculty, how many students (majors), how many, and what type of,
computers in offices, and how many computers available for the students
to use in the Department?  How do you use computers in teaching?

Any info. as to specific programs w/ courses or pointers to seminal
articles making this argument for me...or comments will be welcome.
Anyone requesting a summary of such info, please feel free to request.

This is also being posted to bionet.cell biology and bionet.general.

Thank you,
Sue Katz, Assistant Professor of Biology at Doane College, Crete, Nebraska
DKATZ at Doane.edu