Amino acid bonding to glass beads

John E. Fox altabios at bham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 09:35:31 EST 1994

In article <2tmo6d$a3u at mintaka.chpc.utexas.edu>, holcombe at chpc.utexas.edu (James A. Holcombe) says:

>We are interested in binding an amino acid through a linker arm to pourous
>glass support beads.  There are a number of recepiets out there for activating
>the glass... Any experience regarding a "formulation" that optimizes the
>surface coverage.  Our preference is to bind the amino acid to the linker
>through the amine terminus.  Thanks for input.
>Prof. James A. Holcombe       phone: 512-471-5140
>Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.   FAX:   512-471-0985
>University of Texas           e-mail: holcombe at chpc.utexas.edu
>Austin, TX   78712   (USA)

This requirement is similar to the application of solid phase protein sequencing developed
by Laursen, Bonner and Horne in the 70's
Re glass beads.
Derrivatise the glass beads with an amino propyl silane. Typically 0.1g glass
100ul silane in 1ml of MeCN. React for 30 mins, wash with MeCN, ether and dry.
This give amino propyl glass.
My books on the subject have all been 'borrowed' so I'm not so sure about the following:-
Derrivatise the amino glass with phenyl diisothiocyante to give DITC glass
the amino acid will then couple on directly through the amino group.

for further details
Wachter et al.   FEBS Lett (1973), 35. p97
Laursen   Eur J. Biochem (1971), 20,  89-102
Laursen et. al.   FEBS Lett (1972), 21, 67-70

I have found the with CPG it is impossible to fully end cap all the amino groups
by acetylation. Assayed by the Kaiser test.