reusing agarose gels

David Huen s.d.huen at bham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 06:08:32 EST 1994

In article <2tk8sp$asl at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
dsammata at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Diana Sammataro) wrote:

<stuff deleted>

>      1.Can I reuse agarose gels, and what happens to DNA and EB in the
>      gels.
Yes, just melt it down (+ wee bit of water) and recast it. Both are still
there. The next time round, you will not need to stain the gel as the EB is
still there. Boiling denatures DNA and ssDNA doesn't fluoresce as much with
EB. Still, the background rises with increasing recycling (some bits of
dirt will also fluoresce...). I've done 4-5x recycling out of sheer sloth
before...

DO NOT USE RECYCLED GELS FOR SOUTHERN BLOTTING!!!!!