vaccinia-summary

Przemko przemko at reks.uia.ac.be
Wed Jun 15 04:31:01 EST 1994

Hi!
A few weeks back I have asked about more info concernig the vaccinia
expression systems. Here (as promised) goes a BRIEF summary of the responses.
I do not quote everyone since the information was in many cases the same.
Nonetheless I THANK everyone for the time and answers
Przemko
=================

We've gotten many vectors from Bernie Moss at NIH.  There is a material
transfer form that you sign when you obtain the vectors from NIH that
obligates you to refer requests for these vectors to NIH rather than
distributing them to others.  The response from NIH to requests for these
vectors is reasonably fast.  You useually get the sequence and a restriction
map as well.  My only complaint is I wish I knew how to get the sequences
electronically rather than having to scan them in.  We have had our best luck
using them in RK-13 and BHK21 cells.  For selecting recombinant vaccinia
viruses you will probably need a TK- cell line such as 143 cells or CV-1.  I
hope this helps.
Julian Leibowitz
Dept. of Pathology
Univ. Texas med School- Houston
==================

I just went to a poxvirus meeting held in Banff, Canada. The newest
version of expression system in vaccinia virus is called VOTE which
involved double lacO repression at both T7 RNApol gene and the target
gene expression. It was also done by a guy previously from Moss's lab.
Thomas Fuerst is the name and he is now in Genelabs Technologies at
San Antonio, TX. FAX: 210-699-0208. Try it. It was not clear to me
whether the work he described was done in Moss's lab or in his company.
It sure sound very powerful. All the other vectors you can get from
Moss under restriction that not to distributed to the third party without
their consent. So it probably is better if you directly get your vectors
from Moss. Two of my colleagues did that and seemed no problem encounted.
And I will not imagine patent problem unless you use for commercial
purpose. Anyway, good luck.              wen

from MBWEN at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw
====================================

I know of Bernard Moss (Mol. Cell Biol. 5:3403 1985) at National Institutes
of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20814 USA, who has a lot of experiences in
vaccinia expression system. I have a carrier vector (vaccinia like
baculovirus requires carrier vector) called pSC11 but I forget the source
of it. Let me know if you have more questions. Ciao!
************************************
Mark L. Huang, Ph.D.
Immune Cell Biology Program
Naval Medical Research Institute
Code 61, 8901 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20889-5607 U. S. A.
Voice: (301) 295-1122 Fax: -6857
E-mail: rin0mxw at bumed30.med.navy.mil
************************************
==================================

Dr. Moss's lab has constructed a great many vaccinia vectors and he
always seems willing to send them out to people who request them.  The
only caveat is that the NIH requires that you sign documents limiting
what you can do with these constructs.  There is an Austrian company that
specializes in vaccinia and other poxvirus vectors.  Contact F.G.FALKNER
at Immuno AG, Uferstr. 15, A-2304 Orth/Donau, Austria.  FAX 02212-2716.
You might also want to call Thomas Fuerst at Genelabs Technologies, Inc.
San Antonio, TX 78249 FAX (210) 699-0208.  He built a lot of the
expression vectors in Bernie Moss's lab and would know whether they are
commercially available.

Hope this is of help.  Yours David Evans
 from David H Evans <dhevans at uoguelph.ca>
====================================

The best thing that you can do is get them from Dr. Moss. They are distributed
for free through the NIH-AIDS Repository Research and Reference Program
Mailing address:
Ogden BioServices
685 Lofstrand Lane
Rockville MD 20850
301-340-0245
FAX 301-340-9245
These vectors work great. You can transfect in a pGEM plasmid, for instance,
and the vaccinia-T7, and get very good expression. I highly advise it for a
start.
Good luck!
 from: bernstein at wsu-id.dayton.oh.us

If you are interested in vaccinia vectors you should call Dr. Moss. He will
tell you what is available. Dr. Moss telephone is 301-496-9869, fax#
301-480-1147.
best, carlos
Carlos H. Pedemonte                     Telephone:  713-743-1211 (office)
Dept. of Pharmacology                               713-743-1228 (lab)
University of Houston                   Fax:        713-743-1229

Houston, TX 77204-5515                  e-mail: pedemonte at jetson.uh.edu