ethidium bromide disposal

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Thu Jun 16 19:04:21 EST 1994

ww40 (William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU) wrote:
: >(BRIAN PETER MERRY) wrote:
: >>
: >> Does anyone know of an effective and safe way to dispose of ethidium
: >>bromide?
:
: I recently saw an ad for a special bag that (according to the ad) sucks out
: the EtBr from a large(ish) volume of liquid in several hours/ overnight.
: You then pour the liquid down the sink (they claimed something like 99.9%
: decontamination) and throw the bag into the solid EtBr waste disposal for
: incineration. I can't remember where I saw the ad (Biotechniques ??), and seem
: to remember that they were rather expensive, but certainly more ecologically
: sound than pouring it directly down the sink.
:
Activated charcoal, I'd wager (see Maniatis).

Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790