ethidium bromide disposal

ww40 William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Thu Jun 16 14:54:55 EST 1994

>In article <002846m.17.2DFC7FDD at>, 002846m at
>> Does anyone know of an effective and safe way to dispose of ethidium

I recently saw an ad for a special bag that (according to the ad) sucks out
the EtBr from a large(ish) volume of liquid in several hours/ overnight.
You then pour the liquid down the sink (they claimed something like 99.9%
decontamination) and throw the bag into the solid EtBr waste disposal for
incineration. I can't remember where I saw the ad (Biotechniques ??), and seem
to remember that they were rather expensive, but certainly more ecologically
sound than pouring it directly down the sink.

William D. WARREN, PhD                    Email: ww40 at
Center for Agricultural Biotechnology     Phone: 1 (301) 405-7681
University of Maryland at College Park    FAX: 1 (301) 314-9075