INTRONs CONSERVED!!!

Marianna Max drmax at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Fri Jun 17 09:28:28 EST 1994

In article <1994Jun16.144556.20884 at emba.uvm.edu>,
Brian Foley <brianf at med.uvm.edu> wrote:

>	You will find that the intron positions are largely conserved,
>but the primary DNA sequence has diverged significantly.

This is the part I'm curious about. The genomic structures of vertebrate
opsins (where they have been identified) show absolute conservation of intron
position, with one exception. An new opsin that I've identified has it's
second intron displaced from the conserved position by 5aa and it is
missing 2aa in the following exon. These changes are not contiguous so it
is likely that they are seperate mutational events. Anyone have any
thoughts about what this might mean in terms of the evolutionary relationship
between these highly related genes?

Max