Removing Bind Silane from plates

Sean David Moore smoore at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 17 09:09:17 EST 1994

The bind Silane went through the gel and stuck..in the absence of a
solvent such as acidic etoh and placed a film on the other plate?

  Are you sure you didn't place a wet plate on the other before it set?..I
have never haerd of such a thing...please inform.

Uncle Sean

Dr R. Dalgleish (ray at leicester.ac.uk) wrote:
: A recent posting said that 5% KOH in methanol will remove repelcote
: (Sigmacote etc.) from glass plates. Will it also remove Bind-Silane?

: I often find that if I treat one plate of a pair, the Bind-Silane
: manages to pass through the acrylamide gel and onto the other plate
: as well. The gel ends up bound to both plates and the only way to
: separate them is to slice down through the gel with a sheet of x-ray
: film.

: I realise that the trick ought to be to ensure that any excess Bind-
: Silane is removed from the treated plate. Is there a foolproof way?
: I've tried rinsing with water and with ethanol but with little
: success.

: Thanks,

:   Dr Raymond Dalgleish,          JANET: ray at uk.ac.le
:   Department of Genetics,     INTERNET: ray at le.ac.uk
:   University of Leicester,    ICBM NET: 52 37' 23" N, 01 07' 24" W
:   University Road,                 Tel: (+44) 0533 523425
:   Leicester LE1 7RH,               Fax: (+44) 0533 523378
:   United Kingdom.
:   #include <std_disclaimer.h>