QIAGEN resin

Joseph C. Bagshaw jbagshaw at wpi.WPI.EDU
Fri Jun 17 07:59:26 EST 1994

In article <CrI309.7L3 at ncifcrf.gov> pnh at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) writes:
> In article <2thoqf$l1b at bigboote.WPI.EDU>
> jbagshaw at wpi.WPI.EDU (Joseph C. Bagshaw) writes:
>
>> "QIAGEN-tips contain a unique, patented anion-exchange resin
>
>> If you visit aQIAGEN display at a meeting, they will openly
>> tell you that the anion exchanger is diethyl aminoethyl, good
>> old DEAE.
>
>Someone told me recently that this resin is not unique and was actually
>developed by another company, namely Macherey-Nagel, Duren, Germany. This same
>chemistry is sold by them as Nucleobond[R] AX. Are they in fact the same? Any
>comments?

>* Paul N. Hengen, Ph.D.                           /--------------------------/*
>* National Cancer Institute                       |Internet: pnh at ncifcrf.gov |*
>* Laboratory of Mathematical Biology              |   Phone: (301) 846-5581  |*
>* Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center|     FAX: (301) 846-5598  |*
>* Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA              /--------------------------/*
This may well be true, since Qiagen is the American offspring of
Diagen GmbH.  All my packages of Qiabrane nylon membrane are clearly
labelled "made in Germany".  I assume all their stuff is made in
Germany.  But why would the same manufacturer market the same
material through a competing US company?

--
Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
jbagshaw at wpi.wpi.edu
Roadkill on the information superhighway.