Problems with News archives? IUBio disk failures again

tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch
Sun Jun 19 10:07:10 EST 1994

In article <CrJoKv.M5H at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>
gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>IUBio Archive has had repeated hard disk failures recently.  The
>disk that failed last month failed again two weeks after its
>"repair".  I had to sacrifice some of the service here to squeeze
>the data into a smaller backup disk.  The few hundred megabytes
>of indexing for network news here has temporarily been sacrificed.
>The network news articles are still here and still being stored
>as we generate them.  When the disk drive gets repaired, or a new
>one I'm waiting for arrives, the news index will make a reappearance.
>That may be up to a few weeks, as the company I've been buying these
>disks from has recently not been very fast on its feet.
>
>-- Don
>--
>-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu

Thanks for the update, Don.  We all greatly appreciate your efforts.  Here's
hoping IUBio Archive makes a speedy recovery.

It's probably worth mentioning that there's at least one other gopher source
for searching archived bionet messages.  After TurboGopher failed to access the
IUBio Archive a couple of days ago, I went searching and found that the
Computational Biology Gopher at Welchlab, Johns Hopkins has an alternate gopher
listed as "Search Bionet articles (IG)".   I used it successfully then, and I
also just tried it again just now without any problems.  One way to get there
is

USA Gopher servers ->
Maryland ->
Computational Biology (Welchlab - Johns Hopkins U) ->
Usenet News and FAQ ->
Search messages to Usenet Newsgroups ->
Search Bionet articles (JG)

Hope this helps any others trying to search for old messages.

Song Tan
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biophysics
ETH-Honggerberg (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)
8093 Zurich, Switzerland
email:  tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch