24-well petridish, again.

Allison Haggarty ar229 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Mon Jun 20 08:14:34 EST 1994

In a previous article, yamagatm at THALAMUS.WUSTL.EDU (Yamagat) says:

>Sorry, I am asking about 6-well or 24-well clusters that are NOT treated
>for tissue cultures.
>We can't use either negatively-charged (so-called tissue culture dishes) or
>positively-charged (eg. Primaria).  I know 35mm and 60mm petri dishes and
>96-well petri clusters are available from many companies. But, does anyone
>know of clusters like these?

I posted the original query about non-adherent petri clusters a few days ago
and got some interesting ideas back in my mail.  Here's a short summary:

- Jeanne Loring (jloring at genpharm.com) suggested Falcon organ culture dishes
(cat # 3037).  These have a centre well of diam about 1 cm.

- D.Roos (droos at sas.upenn.edu) recalled a ref in Nature 273:345 (1978)
where the dishes were coated with poly(HEMA) to reduce adhesiveness.

-Rafael Linden (rlinden%brlncc.bitnet at vtbit.cc.vt.edu) refereed to
a paper in Mol.Biol.Cell. 4:953 (1993) where wells are coated with
denatured BSA followed by 2% agarose to prevent adhesion.

After looking in catalogues a bit more I notice that Falcon makes 35mm
petri dishes (ie untreated) which would be equivalent in size to a 6 well
plate. (Falcon cat # 1008).

Haven't tried any of these yet so I can't recommend one over another.
Good luck.

Allison Haggarty          ar229 at freenet.carleton.ca
                          mdah at musica.mcgill.ca