RNA secondary structure database search

Christian Zwieb ZWIEB at JASON.UTHCT.EDU
Mon Jun 20 21:30:31 EST 1994

Please, respond directly to Niels. He asks:

Is there to anyone's knowledge a program and/or a server, which allows
the user to input an arbitrary primary and secondary structure motif
to the Genbank/EMBL databases and have matches returned so they are
readable to both humans and computers? I only know Rodger Staden's
motif search function, but I find that too cumbersome to use (and I
believe it requires the database to be in a specific format).  If it
doesnt exist, then it should obviously be done, since molecules can
easily be similar (and perhaps homologous too) at the secondary
structure level, but with no significant sequence similarity.  If
there is no such thing now, I would like to hear from somebody who are
perhaps considering to set it up.

                                   Sincerely, Niels Larsen

|  Niels Larsen, PhD                 E-mail niels at darwin.life.uiuc.edu   |
|  Department of Microbiology        Phone  (217)-333-9369               |
|  University of Illinois            Fax    (217)-244-6697  (shared)     |
|  131 Burrill Hall                                                      |
|  407 South Goodwin Avenue                                              |
|  Urbana, IL 61801, U.S.A.                                              |
|                            (home)                                      |
|  1611 B Lyndhurst West             Phone  (217)-356-5451  (ans mach)   |
|  Savoy, IL 61874, U.S.A.             Fax  (217)-356-5451  (the same)   |