DNA extraction from P. fluorescens

Sebastian W. Bunka seb at i102pc1.vu-wien.ac.at
Tue Jun 21 03:45:52 EST 1994

Ron Caspi (rcaspi at ucsd.edu) wrote:
: Hello Netters

: I am working with a strain of Pseudomonas fluorescens, and when I try to
: extract chromosomal DNA, I am faced with large amounts of polysaccharides,
: that make life much more complicated. Does anybody have suggestions, either a
: different growth medium or a protocol that will solve the problem?

: Ron

I've never tried it w/ Ps. fluorescens, but several people from
the Univ. Vienna-Biocenter grow capsulated/polysaccharide rich
bacteria with the addition of 100 microMol 2,2' Dipyridil (Bipyridine)
(Sigma D-7505 or other...).
Polysaccharide capsule is reduced, but growth is slower (iron-chelator).
It works with Pasteurella multocida and others.
SWB
--
                      [ Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at ]
                        phone:                   FAX: