Removing Bind Silane from plates

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Fri Jun 17 04:44:13 EST 1994

Dr R. Dalgleish (ray at leicester.ac.uk) wrote:
: A recent posting said that 5% KOH in methanol will remove repelcote
: (Sigmacote etc.) from glass plates. Will it also remove Bind-Silane?

: I often find that if I treat one plate of a pair, the Bind-Silane
: manages to pass through the acrylamide gel and onto the other plate
: as well. The gel ends up bound to both plates and the only way to
: separate them is to slice down through the gel with a sheet of x-ray
: film.

: I realise that the trick ought to be to ensure that any excess Bind-
: Silane is removed from the treated plate. Is there a foolproof way?
: I've tried rinsing with water and with ethanol but with little
: success.

Acetone does the trick in my hands.

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */