reusing agarose gels

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Wed Jun 15 17:21:59 EST 1994

Lauri Lintott (llintott at ACS.UCALGARY.CA) wrote:
: I was always told that boiling ETBr is a bad idea as it can
: vaporize and be inhaled, and since it is a mutagen/carinogen this
: would not be a good thing.  Does someone know better?

In the lab where I was working previously once somebody put some
EtBr-containing vials into the autoclav. After autoclaving, the
person who opened it got an anaphylactic shock (fortunately, she
survived without any damage). Later, it became apparent that she
was allergic against Br-containing substances, and the shock was
apparently caused by EtBr vapours.

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */