Gel dryer / pump corrosion -

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Tue Jun 21 15:49:17 EST 1994

In article <2u6to9INN92d at medicine.wustl.edu> David L. Haviland,
HAVILAND at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU writes:

>Hi... I'd like to throw in another choice for gel dryers.  We have
*great*
>success with the Hoeffer "Easy Breeze" gel dryer.  No pumps, just hot
air
>convection over sheets of mylar/cellophane. It will dry up to 5 or 6
gels
>at the same time.  Lastly, no pumps to wear out. However, it won't dry
>sequencing gels, but will dry most any other gels from the traditional
>SDS-PAGE gel units (Hoeffer, Biorad, home-grown of similar size).

We have found:

1) We need not fix sequencing gels before drying.  The bands near the
bottom are a tad more diffuse than on fixed gels.  But they are readable.

2) Sequencing gels transferred to Whatman 3MM (or similar paper) can be
air dried.  If they are laid on top of a heated gel drier in a room with
good air circulation, the gels will dry in 45 minutes to an hour.  The
surface is a little wavy, but the gel will flatten out in the film
cassette.

My guess is that the gels could also be air dried in a hood.  They would
dry faster if hung from a string.  They could also be laid on the hood's
bench top, but that would slow the drying.

Good luck,

Jim Owens