Recommendations for bacterial hosts for "awkward" DNA

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Jun 22 18:44:57 EST 1994

Hello all,

	I am trying out Pharmacia's pMSG expression vector.  This contains
a glucocorticoid-responsive promoter.  Pharmacia says that, because the
plasmid contains regions of internal homology, it should be grown in HB101
rather than eg. DH5alpha.  Since HB101 is endonuclease A positive, lacI(q)
negative and doesn't support alpha complementation (yes, I want everything)
this makes it somewhat less easy to handle than the routine strains (eg.
DH5alpha, JM109, XL-1 Blue, NovaBlue) in use in this lab.
	So, does anyone have any recommendations, free or commercial, for
alternatives to HB101?  At the moment I am looking at Stratagene's "SURE"
strains - does anyone have any experience, favourable or otherwise, with
these?
		Any and all info appreciated,
				Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.