Can a polyclonal AB distinquish between two very similar proteins

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Wed Jun 22 22:41:46 EST 1994

Jaishree Muppala Chittoor (jaishre at ksu.ksu.edu) wrote:

: Hi,
: Can a polyclonal AB raised against a synthetic peptide (MNLAPLDT) be able
: to distinguish between a protein with this sequence and a protein that
: shows >70% sequence identity with it.  This other protein has SNLAPVDT as its
: sequence at the corresponding region.
: Thanks in advance.
: bye
: Jaishree
: [jaishre at matt.ksu.edu]
Jaishree,
It all depends on the quartenray structure of the protein. What shape does
the second protein take as opposed to the first one? Also is the second
protein motif exposed? If it is buried within a protein ( in a canyon for
example) then the antibody is not gonna be able to recognize it.
I guess the answer to your question is ' I don't know':) but I think these
points are important to consider.
Cheers,
Shahram Mori
Program in Molecular Biology
Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry Box 3C
NMSU Las Cruces NM
88003

 _/\_
_\  /_